The Cliff

The crisp breeze makes my hair dance while the sun caresses my cheek. I stand firm and look at the world before me. I have hope for the future. There are so many options and opportunities that are at my fingertips. I have been blessed by countless goods. And yet, that's what makes this so hard. There are too many good choices. Is it possible to have too many desires? How do I know which to pursue? So here I stand--frozen-- waiting to get blown in the right direction. Waiting, faltering, I try to remain steady while being open to movement. How do I know if the wind is a test of my strength or a push in the right direction? Unsure, I remain fixed on the edge of the cliff--on the brink of the beginning of the rest of my life.

Graduation. It's a cliff. It is an exciting opportunity to jump with your arms outstretched, to know this is the fastest way, and to hope that you will land safely. But, when fear creeps into the mind, it becomes an opportunity to wait, to keep all options open, and to avoid commitment. For those of us who feel pulled between the two extremes and are unhappy when we think about a five year plan, there is a third option, which is perhaps the most honest way to approach this exciting time in our lives.


The etymology of "graduation" demonstrates the proper way to approach this change in our lives (for "gradus" is Latin for "step"). At graduation, we not only receive a degree which demonstrates that we have become more knowledgeable individuals, but we are also presented with the concrete end of a chapter of our lives, which forces us to make decisions about our future (sometimes in incremental degrees). Thus, this definite point in time does not necessarily require an immediate leap. You can still move forward toward your goal by walking down the path on the side of the cliff.


Fear not. Trust. Take a deep breath and a single step. Happy graduation 2k16.

Comments

Popular Posts